The 2016-2017 academic year featured numerous research publications and presentations by faculty members in WKU’s Department of Educational Administration, Leadership, and Research.
EALR faculty members presented their work at several research and professional conferences, including the following:
- Dr. Janet Hurt presented at the Oxford (United Kingdom) Educational Research Symposium on work conducted in collaboration with Dr. Stacy Leggett and Dr. Marguerita DeSander, “How principals use the evaluation system to improve the instructional capacity of teachers and an examination of the factors that influence the evaluation.”
- Dr. Tom Stewart presented a paper at the International Thomas Merton Society annual meeting at St. Bonaventure University (NY), “Compassionate leadership: Models of mercy in Merton and O’Conner.”
- Dr. Kimberlee Everson presented two papers at the American Educational Research Association annual meeting in San Antonio, TX. These included “Validity issues in assessing disposition: The confirmatory factor analysis of a teacher disposition form,” research conducted with WKU EdD alumna Dr. Chunling Niu (now with the University of Kentucky) and Dr. Cassie Zippay and Dr. Sylvia Dietrich (WKU); and “Value-added modeling alternatives that reflect classroom composition,” research conducted with Dr. Erika Feinaur (Brigham Young University).
EALR faculty also celebrated several publications in books and peer-reviewed research journals, including the following:
- Dr. Kimberlee Everson published an article in Review of Educational Research, “Value-added modeling and educational accountability: Are we answering the real questions?“
- Dr. Gary Houchens and Dr. Tom Stewart collaborated with WKU EdD student Sara Jennings (Russellville Independent Schools) to publish an article in The International Journal Mentoring and Coaching in Education, “Enhancing instructional leadership through collaborative coaching: A multi-case study.”
- Dr. Gary Houchens collaborated with Dr. Jie Zhang (formerly of WKU, now with University of Houston), Dr. Chunling Niu (University of Kentucky), WKU EdD alumna Dr. Kelly Davis (Green River Regional Educational Cooperative) and Dr. Steve Miller (WKU, retired) to publish an article in the Journal of Positive Behavior Interventions, “The impact of Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports on teachers’ perceptions of teaching conditions and student achievement.”
- Dr. Houchens also collaborated with WKU EdD alumnus and Evansville Catholic Diocese Schools Superintendent Daryl Hagan on an article for the Journal of Catholic Education, “Catholic school faculty meetings: A case study linking Catholic identity, school improvement, and teacher engagement.”
- Dr. Kristin Wilson, in collaboration with WKU EdD alumnus Dr. Wouter Van Alebeek (director of WKU’s English as a Second Language International program), published a book chapter in the forth-coming International Handbook of Comparative Studies in Community Colleges and Global Counterparts, “An analysis of social media narratives in South Africa’s #FeesMustFall movement.”
- Dr. Wilson also collaborated with several international colleagues on the book chapter, “Sustainability of higher education credit systems and transfer structures: Experiences from South Africa, the United States, and Australia” in Sustainable Transformation and Higher Education.
In addition to the list above, EALR faculty celebrated other publications, invited presentations, and creative activities and look forward to another productive year in 2017-2018.