EALR professor Dr. Gary Houchens appointed to state board of education

Dr. Gary Houchens
Dr. Gary Houchens

This past May, Governor Matt Bevin appointed EALR associate professor Dr. Gary Houchens to a four-year term on the Kentucky Board of Education.  Dr. Houchens was sworn in to service on the 11-member board on June 8.  The Kentucky Board of Education helps establish policy and provides oversight to the Kentucky Department of Education.

“I’m tremendously honored by this opportunity,” Dr. Houchens said. “I’ve devoted my career to improving leadership and student outcomes for Kentucky’s schools and will do my best to bring those experiences and perspectives to the work of the Board.”  Dr. Houchens said he anticipates the board will be actively engaged in work to overhaul the state’s school accountability system and revisions to the teacher and school principal evaluation programs.

Dr. Houchens is a former teacher, assistant principal, principal, and school district administrator.  He joined the faculty of WKU in 2010. He primarily teaches courses in the principal certification program but also advises doctoral students and is engaged in several on-going research initiatives.  Dr. Houchens received the 2016 College of Education and Behavioral Sciences Faculty Excellence Award for Student Advising.